All Saints Chapel
In the late 1930s, Episcopalians on holiday at Elkhart Lake engaged a room at Sharpe’s Resort to serve as a Liturgical Center, which was known as St. Francis by the Lake. Eventually, the building at Sharpe’s Resort housing the Liturgical Center was razed and services were suspended during World War II. Directly following the war, a band room in a public school was implemented for liturgical purposes.
In March of 1951, with funds provided by the Hayssen Foundation, land was purchased and a chapel was constructed. Satre and Senescall of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, associated with Richard Phillip of Milwaukee served as the architects.
The building is reminiscent of an English country church, and is substantially built with walls of native fieldstone and partially plastered. The altar is also constructed from native stone, with a foundation five feet below the chapel floor.
The stained glass windows depict biblical scenes with relevance to the chapel's rural setting, including: St. Genevieve, patron saint of farm animals; St. Isadore, patron saint of the farmer and St. Hubertus, patron saint of the hunter.
A service was held in the chapel on Thanksgiving Day, 1951, without a roof on the building. Eventually, it was named All Saints Chapel.
In the summer of 1952, June, July, and August services were held and the tradition of summer services continues to this day.
The chapel has been served by retired and vacationing clergy since it opened its doors and is visited yearly by the Bishop of the Diocese of Fond Du Lac. The chapel seats 48.
On October 26th, 1991, the chapel was landmarked by Sheboygan County Landmarks, Ltd.
An open invitation stands to worship here on Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM, Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend.
For more information about All Saints Chapel or inquiries about weddings and other religious events, contact the Grace Episcopal Church office at 920-452-9659 or firstname.lastname@example.org.