Dr. R. Benjamin Dobey, Organist and Choirmaster of Grace Church, has had family in the Sheboygan area since the 1970’s, when Sheboygan quickly became one of his favorite resorts. He did not come to live here until 1997, which was largely in order to escape the rush-hour traffic in the Washington, D.C. area, where he had spent most of his career as an organist, accompanist, singer, conductor, and college teacher. A native of Virginia, his music degrees are from Oberlin and Eastman. He also spent a year in Germany studying organ on a Fulbright grant, and two years singing in the choir of Wells Cathedral in England.
The parish had a traditional men and boys choir from 1877. This was replaced by a small volunteer choir of men and women in 1963, which now sings for the Solemn Mass on Sundays and on major feast days.In addition, a male Schola Cantorum sings Gregorian chant in English and Latin for the monastic service of Compline once a month, and a Youth/Children's choir sings on Christmas Eve and for other special occasions, such as the Bishop's visitation and First Communion.
During the pastorate of Fr. Robert W. Blow, Rector from 1862-1890, a Roosevelt organ was installed in what is now the parish's Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham. This organ was replaced in 1929 by an Austin instrument, which was placed in what is now the Christ the King chapel. TheAustin was rebuilt and relocated in the late 1950s by Verlinden of Milwaukee to the present (then new) choir loft in the rear of the church. Both the construction of the new balcony and the organ rebuild were made possible by a gift from Herbert V. Kohler and his sister Lillie Babette Kohler.